Transition to Secondary School
The first years of a young person’s education journey generally takes place in a relatively small primary school. Students become familiar with the people and confident and comfortable within the primary school environment. It is no surprise that quite often the prospect of moving to a much larger and unfamiliar setting of secondary school can be very daunting. This change can present many new challenges for young people and their parents/carers. At Whitcliffe Mount, we engage with students in a variety of activities beginning in Year 5 and throughout Year 6, to help to aid the transition process.
“Parents are particularly complimentary about the transition for pupils who have recently started Year 7.” – Ofsted, September 2017
Parents/Carers of Year 5 and 6 students will be currently exploring the options for secondary schools. We acknowledge that this is a very important time and we are delighted to be able to offer support in helping parents/carers and students make the right decisions. At Whitcliffe Mount , we work hard to offer a smooth and trouble free transfer to high school.
Admission to Whitcliffe Mount School for September 2018 entry (current Year 6 children)
- Parents/Carers should have received a leaflet entitled ‘Apply online, apply on time for your child’s school place’ from your child(ren)’s primary school. These should have been sent home with your child(ren) at the latest by Wednesday 13th September 2017. (Parents/Carers must have at least 6 weeks to express their secondary school preferences).
- The closing date for the online and on time application is Tuesday 31st October 2017 for entry to Year 7 in September 2018. Remember that a late application can severely reduce your chances of obtaining a place at your preferred school.
- Parents/Carers can access more detailed information about the transfer to secondary school process on www.kirklees.gov.uk/admissions. Parents/Carers without internet access who require a hard copy of the leaflet can request one from School Admissions (01484 225007/8/9).
- Legislation requires all parents/carers to request a secondary school place by completing the common application provided by the home Local Authority.
- For children who do not live in Kirklees, parents/carers must follow their home Local Authority application process. You can apply to Whitcliffe Mount by naming Whitcliffe Mount School on your home Local Authority application.
Some Important Dates
Years 5 & 6 Open Evening – Wednesday 4th October 2017
Closing date for applications – Tuesday 31st October 2017
Kirklees Allocation Day – Thursday 1st March 2018
New Year 7 Welcome Visits – 24th April, 1st, 2nd and 3rd May 2018
New Year 7 Parents/Carers Evening – Tuesday 26th June 2018
Year 7 Induction Days – Monday 2nd and Tuesday 3rd July 2018
Via email: email@example.com
Mrs W. Thomas Year 7 Achievement Leader
Mrs A. Speight Year 7 Lead
Mrs A. Stocks SENDCo
Mrs P. Flaherty Wellbeing Team
Mr R. Hirst Assistant Headteacher (Key Stage 3)
Click to view our prospectus
In the meantime, please keep in touch with us: