Transition to Secondary School
The first years of a young person’s education journey generally takes place in a relatively small primary school. Students become familiar with the people and confident and comfortable within the primary school environment. It is no surprise that quite often the prospect of moving to a much larger and unfamiliar setting of secondary school can be very daunting. This change can present many new challenges for young people and their parents/carers. At Whitcliffe Mount, we engage with students in a variety of activities beginning in Year 5 and throughout Year 6, to help to aid the transition process.
“Parents are particularly complimentary about the transition for pupils who have recently started Year 7.” – Ofsted, September 2017
Parents/Carers of Year 5 and 6 students will be currently exploring the options for secondary schools. We acknowledge that this is a very important time and we are delighted to be able to offer support in helping parents/carers and students make the right decisions. At Whitcliffe Mount , we work hard to offer a smooth and trouble free transfer to high school.
Admission to Whitcliffe Mount School for September 2020 entry (current Year 6 children)
- Parents/Carers should have received a leaflet entitled ‘Apply online, apply on time for your child’s school place’ from your child(ren)’s primary school.
- The closing datefor the online and on time application is Thursday 31st October 2019 for entry to Year 7 in September 2020. Remember that a late application can severely reduce your chances of obtaining a place at your preferred school.
- Parents/Carers can access more detailed information about the transfer to secondary school process on www.kirklees.gov.uk/admissions. Parents/Carers without internet access who require a hard copy of the leaflet can request one from School Admissions (01484 225007/8/9).
- Legislation requires all parents/carers to request a secondary school place by completing the online application provided by the home Local Authority.
- For children who do not live in Kirklees, parents/carers must follow their home Local Authority application process. You can apply to Whitcliffe Mount by naming Whitcliffe Mount School on your home Local Authority application.
Some Important Dates
Deadline for applications – Thursday 31st October 2019
National Offer Day – Monday 2nd March 2020
New Year 7 Parents/Carers Evening – Wednesday 265h June 2020
Year 7 Induction Day – Tuesday 7th July 2020
Via email: email@example.com
Mr P. Woolford KS3 Achievement Leader
Mrs R. Spencer Year 7 Student Support Lead
Mrs E.Bryan SENDCo
Mrs P. Flaherty Inclusion Manager
Mr C. McElhatton Assistant Headteacher (Transition)
Click to view our prospectus
In the meantime, please keep in touch with us: